Sunday, February 27, 2011

What do you do with a BA in English?

One of my all-time favorite musicals is Avenue Q (now off Broadway at the New World Stages), it's dirty, it's raunchy, it's filthy and it's funny... not to mention that I swear the writers were predicting my future when they wrote in the character of Kate Monster (kindergarten assistant teacher, with a big heart, huge dreams, and the treasures of love and heartbreak).

Anyway, Princeton arrives on Avenue Q, a broke college kid who has...
a BA in English. 
(NB: While I don't have a BA in English, let's just pretend, for arguments sake that I do, since I was only 6 credits away from a major in English.)

Princeton asks, "What do you do with a BA in English?" a question I'm sure many, many college grads have pondered.  In fact, I pondered in my writing journal for one of my Master's classes... and came up with this:
a) You do nothing.  You either live in your parent's basement, or in a cardboard box on the side of the street.
b) You major in something else, something more... practical. Like education.  Or business.  Or anything-except-for-fine-art-dramatic-arts-dance-etc.
c) You become a puppet and move to Avenue Q.
d) You find all the fun things you've written while you were in some kind of an English class or writing class and use them to pad your blog that you haven't written in since the end of January.

Henceforth, the next three entries of things I have written for school, or for me.  Some have been published.  Some have not.  Perhaps some day you will be flipping through some book in Barnes and Noble and say, "oh, hey, I've read this before...where? OH RIGHT on Kathryn's blog!!".
Or not. A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment