Saturday, April 20, 2013

30 Things: Day 7

Edited from the summer, posting now!

Day 7: What is your dream job, and why?

I honestly don't know what my dream job is because I haven't had nearly enough experience doing any of the things I love to do. 

I want to be a teacher. An effective teacher, a respected teacher.  Not what I am now, which is stressed out and unhappy.

I want to be a photographer. I love capturing moments in people's lives that they can look back on and smile wistfully.  I've grown up in a family where pictures are so important.  Grandma called our school portraits "mouse traps" when we were younger, which of course would make us giggle hysterically.  Her house is covered in pictures and I love it.

I want to plan weddings.  I want to cook for people. I want to be a mother. I want to work with baby animals in a zoo.

All I've ever wanted in my life is to help people.  Not save people, because as the fabulous Abigail Disney said, "helping is humble. Saving is arrogant." I could read her commencement address to my graduating class every single day and never grow tired of it.

I've been given so much in my life that I feel this undeniable need to give back.  Maybe it is just the neophyte teacher in me, but I still think I can change someone's world.  Though knowing me, if I did manage to change someone's world for the better I still wouldn't be satisfied because I'm just that kind of person.  I know I can't change the entire world, but I'd like to think that I can change the part of it that I live in.

Er, so maybe my dream job is to just be a teacher.  Preferably in kindergarten, but I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment